Hello Draper 2 & 3 Families!
We have created a resource with guidelines and procedures: https://draper2.americanprep.org/drop-off-and-pick-up/ This is a work in progress, but we encourage all our families to review the process for dropping off and picking up students.
We have 2 items to address today:
1. Remember to follow the traffic laws
There have been several car accidents and close calls on Lone Peak Parkway. Having two lanes north of our property is new this year, and many people are confused and frustrated. Please follow the traffic laws:
- RIGHT OF WAY/YIELD – those turning left should yield to oncoming traffic and drivers turning right (page 21)
- INTERSECTIONS – do not use the intersections to U-turn or to change lanes (page 24)
- KEEP CLEAR – when traffic slows, leave the intersections clear for neighbors to enter and exit
- MERGING – use your blinker, merge when lines are dashed (page 28)
- DO NOT CHANGE LANES in the areas that say KEEP CLEAR
- After turning onto a road (such as when exiting our property) – Enter the nearest lane first, merge to the next lane only after 2 seconds have passed
We encourage those in the right lane to allow those from the left lane to merge (when their blinker is on and lines are dashed).
2. Arriving too early for afternoon pick up
Please do not arrive before this time:
- Purple 2:50 pm – this time is for families with ONLY Draper 3 students
- Yellow 3:15 pm – this time is for families at Draper 2 AND Draper 3
- Blue 3:30 pm – this time is for families with ONLY Draper 2 students (or those who prefer a later time)
- Red 3:45 pm – this time is for families with ONLY Draper 2 students (or those who prefer a later time)
As you can see in the chart below – the largest number of cars come at Purple (2:50 pm). It is important that Yellow families DO NOT come early, but wait until Purple dismissal is over.
We have seen some families with two pick up tags – you should only have one color tag. If you have students at both Draper 2 and Draper 3, you should have only a yellow tag.
For families at both campuses (Yellow 3:15 pm), the D3 students should wait at the school for about 20 minutes, you pick them up, and then proceed to pick up the students at Draper 2. About 40% of the D3 campus has to wait until the Yellow 3:15 pm dismissal. This is the only way to accommodate so many cars on our campus.
Utah Driving Resources:
6th Grade Draper 3 Tour Dates
For all of our 6th grade students who will be going into 7th grade next school year; 2021/2022; Draper 3 has set up the below dates for parents to take a tour. A tour is OPTIONAL, the student does NOT need to attend. This is a perfect time to ask questions, see the building and help you decide where you want to be next year. You can sign up here:
- March 2nd 2021 1:15 PM
- March 3rd 2021 10:00 AM
- April 14th 2021 at 10:00 AM
- May 19th 2021 at 10:00 AM
- June 15th 2021 at 10:00 AM
- June 29th 2021 at 10:00 AM
- July 14th 2021 at 10:00 AM
As a classical school, it is very important that your students learn not only at school, but also that they continue to learn at home. In order for our families of elementary students to engage in “great conversations” and continued learning at home, each family needs to have a copy of “What Your X Grader Needs To Know” for their current grade level, and parents should read it at home during the year with their students. Each week on the learning plan, there will be suggested reading assignments for parents to read with their children, and the poems and stories should be all read at home during the school year, with parents and other family members. The intention is that every family reads the grade level book with their child every year they are at APA and has great conversations about the things they read!
To assist our families with this, we will provide the “What Your X Grader Needs To Know” book for you this year. We realize some of you already have this year’s book and are diligently reading it with your student. Thank you! If you already have this year’s book, we will purchase next year’s book for you. Please fill out this survey and let us know which book you would prefer us to provide for you.
At the end of the year, there will be a HUGE book exchange where you will be able to bring a book to donate, and for every book you bring to donate you can pick up a book someone else has donated from the grade level you need for the next year.
We are excited to see more of our families reading these books at home and having great conversations!
Thank you so much for the adjustments you’ve been making during drop off and pick up! We hope you’ve seen and appreciated the small improvements. I am confident that as we continue to make small changes, we will soon feel big rewards!
I received a lot of feedback that some people coming from the south (12300 S) are trying to turn left in the morning and creating dangerous conditions.
Our school entrance was designed for NO LEFT TURNS at any time, either in or out. At certain times, turning left becomes very dangerous. For your safety, we try to enforce this rule during drop off and pick up.
If you approach campus from the south:
- We would encourage you to change your route and come from the north
- ALWAYS yield to oncoming traffic, those coming from the north. Do not cut in front of them (See Utah Driver Handbook page 29 https://dld.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/17/2018/12/Driver-Handbook-2018-2019.pdf)
- There is only room for about 3 cars to fit in the left turning lane. If the turning lane is full OR there are no breaks in oncoming traffic OR it is after 7:30 am you should drive to River Chapel road to turn around (see map)
- Please do not drive in the neighborhoods at any time (Election Rd, Inauguration Rd, Bubbling Brook Ln, Beverly Ann Dr)
- These directions apply whether or not a staff member is present to redirect you
I also wanted to mention that Mr. Bazan and I are working to create training videos. Please be assured that we will not include any faces or license plates in our videos unless you give us specific permission to do so.
Thank you again for your patience! We are so happy to have you at our school and part of our community.
Draper 2 Administrative Director
Tip 1: Move forward on the curb as far as you can; it’s okay to wait 10-30 seconds for a car that is almost done unloading to leave, then pull forward even farther.
Tip 2: As you exit through the parking lot, form 2 lines, then zipper merge just before turning onto the driveway.
Hello Draper 2/3 Families,
Thanks to all of you who made efforts to leave early, be ready for a speedy drop-off, and had extra patience today – we needed it!
I heard from some of you that 11400 South has so much traffic that what usually takes 5 minutes took 20. I found out that there is construction on 12600 South at Bengerter Highway. IT appears this is driving extra traffic up to 11400 South, causing delays.
Obviously, there is little we can do to address city traffic patterns, but hopefully some of you will be able to find alternate routes that won’t be so crowded.
We have updated our morning drop off maps, please be sure to form TWO lines as you drive through the parking lot to exit.
We’ve had a lot of new families return from off-campus learning, and traffic has increased during drop off and pick up.
Here’s a video with 3 tips to make your morning drop off quick and easy!
- Leave 5 minutes earlier
- Speedy drop off – when you enter the property have students get:
- coats on
- masks on
- backpack loaded and ready
- If you need extra time, pull to the very front of the drop off curb
- Please extend patience to others
This map has some other helpful tips about getting to the school (videos coming soon!)
Hello APA Staff Members and Families!