I am a builder when I respect my body and mind.
Newsflash: your mind and your body are on the same team. It’s easy to forget that both entities are part of a larger whole. That’s mostly because it doesn’t always feel that way. Sometimes we’re not even aware that we’re punishing our bodies with our minds, or our minds with our bodies. So how do you find internal harmony? It starts with learning to respect what is. It’s not about losing weight or drinking green tea or wearing egg yolk face masks or cutting bangs or treating yourself to an online shopping addiction. It’s about taking inventory of what you already have and practicing gratitude. ~Kaitlyn Wilde
If you’d like to see this month’s video on our theme of “Respect my mind and body” please click on the link below. https://youtu.be/8hdCZu3rKrM
- May 10-14 – Extra Recess for those who earned it via Fun Run
- May 11 – Virtual Parent Empowerment Meeting, 7pm
- May 11 – Sock and Tie Day for those who earned it via Fun Run
- May 12 – Team T-Shirt Day for those who earned it via Fun Run
- May 12 – Yearbook Order Deadline
- May 12 – 4-6 grade Speech Festival
- May 13 – K-3 grade Speech Festival
- May 13 – Free Dress Day for those who earned it via Fun Run
- May 14 – 1-6 grade Library Books Due
- May 14 – Jeans Day for those who earned it via Fun Run
- May 14 – Fun Run Hero T-Shirt Day for those registered for the Fun Run
- May 14-16 – Fun Run: Run on your own, report the time online
- May 17-21 – Grades K-3 Core Knowledge Testing
- May 17 – Kindergarten Reading University deadline
- May 19 & 20 – Fun Run Awards at the K-3 and 4-6 morning assemblies
- May 21 – 5th Grade Civil War Event
- Kindergarten – Important Dates
- Important Dates Through the End of the Year
- Summer Activities – https://draper2.americanprep.org/summer-2021-activities/
- Summer Reading Lists – https://draper2.americanprep.org/summer-reading-lists/
Fun Run Incentives – May 11 to 14
Students received a paper on Friday outlining which incentives they qualify for. We will also be sending a reminder email to parents.
Virtual Parent Empowerment: Bullying and Internet Safety – May 11
Come join us virtually to explore bullying and other wrecking behaviors, how to identify when someone might be experiencing these, and how to respond in an empowering and helpful way. We will also look at how to keep yourself safe online, as well as ways to help your students be safe, too. Please join us virtually on Tuesday, May 11th at 7:00 pm. Check in with your campus to see if an incentive will be offered for your student if you attend. https://uetn-org.zoom.us/j/85071789887 Meeting ID: 850 7178 9887
Yearbook Order Deadline – May 12
The yearbook order deadline is Wednesday. Please order your yearbook here:
To order class pictures or individual pictures, contact Bell Photography – Phone: 801-479-4624
Speech Festival – Class Winners
Below are the class winners for the Speech Festival. They will perform at a school assembly – parents of these students are invited to attend, and should have received an invitation with the date and time.
- Grade Teacher Student
- K Eakins AM – Pranika Chandra
- K Eakins PM – Gianluca Parra
- K Berman – Tanishkaa Lala
- K Garcia – Kaeya Dhruv
- K Young AM – Natalie Christensen
- K Young PM – Tomasi Haring
- 1 Bodtcher – Presley Paulson
- 1 Durling – Geoffrey Dixon
- 1 Davis – Logan Wall
- 1 Henry – Shawn Baltazar
- 1 Titus – Tanush Ankireddipalli
- 1 Wise – Ayaan Ahad
- 2 Diamond – Ethan Sorenson
- 2 Ferlo – Chandramouli Kothamasu
- 2 Hooley – Prisha Karia
- 2 Herrera – Eden Jarrett
- 2 Mair – Nishka Kanitkar
- 2 Johanson – Cora Wagner
- 3 Davis – Shyamini Sivanarayanan
- 3 MacLeod – Akshath Srivathsan
- 3 Pant – Kendal Paulson
- 3 Strong – Sai Chandan
- 3 Wanner – Caroline Farmer
- 3 Tefteller – Katie Welch
- 4 Gardner – Abigail Barnes
- 4 Carroll – Haylin Lee
- 4 Cain – Hailey Hinrichsen
- 4 Foster – Tanner Sorenson
- 4 Young – Noelle Rees
- 5 Bodily – Jack Brown
- 5 Elliott – Arjun Mahajan
- 5 Ames – Lillian Eubanks
- 5 Erickson – Olivia Henderson
- 5 Keller – Shivesh Saravanan
- 5 Diamond – Ethan Sanchez Maldonado
- 6 Smith – Cameron Hancock
- 6 Henderson – Micah Stanford
- 6 Weiss – Elliot Zarr
- 6 Burkholder – Morganne Strong
Library Books Due – May 14
Please return all library books to the classroom by this date.
Fun Run Video – May 14
We will be filming and taking photos of those wearing Fun Run t-shirts on this day. If you do not wish to have your student photographed, please email Jill Welch email@example.com.
Draper 3 Dance Team Performance – May 14 to 15
“Don’t Stop Dancin” as we celebrate a night with the APA dance department in concert – Friday, May 14th and Saturday, May 15th @ 7:00 pm in the D3 gym. It will be a celebration of dance and movement featuring our very own dance company, ballroom dance company, and other exciting guest performers.
Tickets are $5.00 for reserved seating in advance, or available at the door – for an additional fee. http://our.show/apadanceandballroom
K-3 Core Knowledge Testing – May 17 to 20
All students in grades K-3 will be taking Core Knowledge end-of-year tests this week. Please try to get students to bed early so they come well-rested. Be sure to send a water bottle, and a healthy lunch.
Off Campus Students – remember to wear your FULL UNIFORM.
Testing Schedule: https://draper2.americanprep.org/core-knowledge-testing-schedule/
5th Grade Civil War Event – May 21
The 5th graders will be having a Civil War event. Some students will have speaking parts – please have them rehearse in advance. If you are willing to donate popsicles, please contact your student’s homeroom teacher. On the 21st, each student needs to bring:
- A change of modest clothing that they will put on before the activity (BLUE if the class is Union, GREY if the class is Confederate).
- Towel – they will be getting wet
- Water bottle & sunscreen – students will be in the sun for a few hours
- 2 plastic grocery bags
Parents are welcome to attend – the program will start at about 1:30 pm. Bring your own lawn/camping chair!
Congratulations to the winners of this year’s District Art Show:
View art here: https://draper2.americanprep.org/student-art/
1st Place – Sahmar Vasquez
2nd Place – Atem Atem
Best of 1st Grade – Elizabeth Pismenskaya
1st Place – Nikola Jovanovic
2nd Place – Ava Vo
Best of 2nd Grade – Harper Johnson
1st Place – Sasha Mayurov
2nd Place – Harshita Malik
Best of 3rd Grade – Caleb Strong
1st Place – Max Sengpraseut
2nd Place – Aashita Mandiwal
1st Place – Annabella McDaniel
2nd Place – Lluvia Cruz
1st Place – Oriana Pimentel
2nd Place – Anika Ohruv
Honorable Mention, Elementary – Luka Jovanavich, D2
Thank you for all that you’ve done this year for your students and teaching them to be the wonderful people that they are. We are looking for some volunteers for our end of year assembly. Parents would assist out on the playground as the students get autographs from their favorite RU heroes from our chew time videos this year. Volunteers assist in keeping the lines orderly. You will receive training before. Please go to the sign up genius link if you’d like to help at this FUN and memorable event.
Did you know there are free activities and meals available in your community for your kids and teens this summer? Follow this link to find a site near you: https://www.fns.usda.gov/meals4kids
Draper Philharmonic – Free Tickets
The Draper Philharmonic is one of our community partners, and wants to offer our students and their families the opportunity to attend their upcoming concerts in Abravanel Hall:
- Lamb of God, May 10-12, 7pm
- George Washington: Ordained of God, June 7-10, 7pm
Call ArtTix at 801-355-2787, during box office hours (M-F 10 am-6 pm and Sat 10 am-2 pm) and give them the code: SocietyAPA. The ticketing agent will seat you in the best seats available. Although parents can use their best judgment, we recommend that children be ages 6 and up to attend the concert.
What Your Grader Books
All books have been distributed to students. We will have a book exchange May 24 – 26th.
Off-Campus Testing – June 2
All off-campus students must come in to be assessed for Math, Reading, and Spelling on Wednesday, June 2nd. Testing sessions are 8:30 am -OR- 10:00 am -OR- 12:30 pm. Please be on time for your session.
We had the last fire drill of the year on Friday, May 7. It was a beautiful day! Staff and students followed the protocols quickly and we efficiently accounted for everyone in the school.
Please pay attention to any library notices attached to your student’s learning plan. Our curriculum team attaches notices of overdue books that need to be returned or paid for.